This is the first technique for learning how to hang up dress pants. The easiest way to hang them up is to use a normal hanger. Once you’ve got your hanger at the ready, simply follow these steps:
- The first thing to do is find the crease in the legs and lay them flat on a folding table or on the bed.
- Next, take the top pant leg and fold it up towards the waist of the pants.
- Place the coat hanger on the bottom leg, hook side facing the leg opening.
- Fold the bottom leg over the rung of the coat hanger and pull it through the hanger.
- Place the leg opening against the crotch seam and press it flat.
- Take the top pant leg and also pull it through the coat hanger. While holding the top leg, grab the coat hanger by the hook, pick both up, and let the pant leg drop.
- Now all you need to do is straighten out the legs. Make sure the crease in the pants is aligned with the fold on the clothes hanger. Lining up the pant legs with one another will make the creases symmetrical.
It is also possible to hang your dress pants up by crossing over the pant legs across the hanger because their weight and friction will keep them in place – this is known as the Savile Row technique! To protect your fabric, it might be worth your while to buy padded hangers or to stick velvet or moleskin across the area your pants will be hung up. Just make sure the glue is dry before hanging up your pants.