What's the best way to clean your car seats?
Full speed ahead – the Clean Team shows you how to quickly and easily remove stains from your car seat upholstery.
Cleaning your car seats – give your upholstery a makeover
Your car may be clean on the outside, but how is it inside? Crumbs and coffee stains? Follow these tips and tricks for getting your upholstery looking spick-and-span.
Revving up – preparation is key
Just like at a car show, you first want to scope out the ‘competition’. What are you up against? Crumbs? Stains? Smears? Preparation is key. Before you get down to some serious scrubbing, first use the vacuum cleaner. Get right into the cracks and under the seats. Have a blunt knife in hand for scraping off any old gum or similarly sticky residue.
Say goodbye to stains – foam sprays are your friend
On your marks, get set – go. After vacuuming and getting rid of all of the other trash, food packaging, half-eaten burgers, empty water bottles, you know the deal–it’s time to tackle those baked-in stains.
Which means, it’s time to partner up with some stain removal sprays and cleaning foams designed for upholstery cleaning. Make sure you select the right one for your type of upholstery and follow the directions on the product packaging.
Using sprays and foams
- Shake the can well.
- Spray onto upholstery from a distance of about 20 inches.
- Massage in the foam with a brush.
- Let it work for two to four hours and air the interior well.
- Vacuum away any remaining residue after drying.
Pro Tip: Car seat cleaning is best done on a warm sunny day as the upholstery will dry faster.
Stay in the fast lane – slow down the dirt
What else has to be considered when cleaning fabric car seats?
- Before attacking your entire back seat with your new cleaning product, test the spray in a small, inconspicuous place to make sure it doesn't discolor the fabric.
- Fresh stain? Don’t rub – dab it away! No spray needed. If you try wiping away the stain, you may end up spreading the mark. So remember, dab, dab, dab!
And there you have it: A perfectly detailed interior! Where to next?