We all love that soft feeling of carpet beneath our feet, but when left unwashed for a long time, carpets can collect a lot of dirt, dead skin, and hair, quickly turning them into a breeding ground for dust mites. Regular vacuuming is great, but it won’t be enough to get rid of tenacious gunk or stains No wonder then that a carpet cleaning is recommended every three to six months. But in many cases, there’s no need to buy an expensive carpet cleaner.
You can use 20 Mule Team Borax™ to help clean old and new spills and stains like wine, juice, and coffee off your carpet. Borax is all-natural and free of chlorine and phosphates.
To remove new spills and stains, here’s what you’ll need:
- Clean cotton rags
- A metal spoon
- Spray bottle with cold water
- Paper towels
- Heavy books
- Soak up the spill by blotting it with a clean cotton rag or paper towel. Be sure not to rub the spill as that will push it further into the carpet fibers.
- Once you’ve blotted as much of the spill as possible, spray the area with cold water and then sprinkle some Borax on the spill. Then cover it with a damp rag and press on the rag with the back of the spoon to rub the Borax into the stain
- Blot the area again using a clean cloth to remove the excess liquid. If the spill has not been totally removed, repeat steps 2 and 3 until the spill is gone.
To spot clean older spills and stains, here’s what you’ll need:
- Mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula or spoon
- Mix equal parts salt, Borax and vinegar into a mixing bowl to create a paste.
- Apply the paste to your carpet stain using a rubber spatula or spoon. Work into the paste into the stain and then let it dry completely.
- After the paste has dried, vacuum it up. Repeat as necessary until the stain is gone.