How to remove permanent marker from your clothing
Good news: Permanent markers are often not quite as permanent as you might think! With the right method, you can remove permanent marker quickly and easily.
Got some permanent marker on your favorite shirt? No guarantees, but here are some tips to hopefully remove that marker stain that we believe are worth a try.
Before you start:
- Be sure to check the tag for the manufacturer’s instructions on how to care for the fabric
- Before you tackle the stain, we recommend testing the cleaning hack on a hidden piece of the clothing to ensure there is no decolorization or damage.
- Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushing it through the fabric.
- Place the clothing stain-side down on a dry, clean paper towel
- Now treat the stain with a little bit of rubbing alcohol or a stain remover product
- Carefully dab the treated area dry with a kitchen towel.
- Repeat the process until the marker is completely removed from the fabric.
- Finally, put your clothes in the washing machine and wash with Persil® ProClean® OXI Power liquid detergent at the temperature indicated on the care label.
By the way, rubbing alcohol works wonders, not only for your beloved cotton shirt. It also removes permanent marker stains from jeans. But again, please be sure to test your jeans in a spot that is not visible to be sure there are not changes to the color before trying.
- Hairspray is another potential solve for a permanent marker from clothing. Check the hairspray bottle to be sure that there is alcohol in the ingredients. If there is, spray the hairspray onto the stain until it is wet
- Allow it to rest for about 15 minutes
- Put your clothes in the washing machine and wash with Persil® ProClean® OXI Power liquid detergent at the temperature indicated on the care label
- Repeat these steps if necessary