These stains on clothing or textiles are a nasty side effect of an annoying household nuisance—rust. Although there is no guarantee that rust stains can be completely removed, the following treatment is definitely worth a try.
The sooner rust particles are removed from the fibers, the better the results. Unfortunately, if left for a long time, rust stains can worsen once you try and wash them out. If possible, wash your clothes or textiles as soon as you spot the stain. Here’s how to remove rust stains from clothing:
- Get a stain-fighting detergent, such as Persil® ProClean® Plus OXI Power.
- A stain remover can help with removing rust stains, so try and find a powerful one.
- Pretreat the rust stains according to the instructions on the products you have chosen.
- Wash the pretreated garment in the washing machine at the highest possible temperature according to the care label on the garment.
- If the rust stains are not completely removed on your first try, repeat the first few steps.
- If pretreatment and washing don’t work, you can also take your garment to a professional dry cleaner. Rust stains can be removed chemically, but only professionals will be equipped to do so.