What is laundry stripping?
If you’re on Instagram or TikTok, you’ve probably seen influencers walking their followers through the latest laundry trend called “laundry stripping” – so what it is, and is it right for you?
What is Laundry Stripping?
Residue from laundry products, hard water, grime, body soil, and grease can build up on your clothes and household fabrics over time. These things don’t always get rinsed away by a typical wash cycle, so laundry stripping helps ensure a more thorough clean with a simple mixture 20 Mule Team Borax™, washing soda, and laundry detergent.
Should You Try Laundry Stripping?
Laundry stripping isn’t new, but thanks to its “oddly-satisfying” ASMR-like process and the power of social media, it’s making a welcome comeback. Whether you feel that your linens are looking dingy or your high-traffic textiles like bathmats and towels have clearly seen better days, laundry stripping may help bring these items back to life.
How to Strip Your Laundry
Take strip-washing for a spin, starting with items like towels, sheets, bathmats and other household linens. Make sure you separate colors from whites to avoid colors bleeding from one item to another. You’ll want to avoid any delicate items because laundry stripping requires hot water.
Click here to watch how it’s done!
What You’ll Need
- Borax (½ cup for every gallon of water)
- Warm water
- A tub or bucket (you can also use a bathtub or large sink)
- Washing soda
- Powder laundry detergent
- Fill ⅔ of a large tub with hot water
- Add ½ cup of Borax for every gallon of water and allow to completely dissolve in the water
- Add ½ cup of washing soda for every gallon of water
- Add ¾ cup of laundry detergent for every gallon of water
- Add your laundry to the tub
- Allow laundry to soak for 5 - 6 hours, stirring every hour
- Remove laundry from the tub and add to a washing machine. Wash as usual.
Share it with Family & Friends!
Do you like our tips? Let the people around you enjoy it as well!