The kitty bed might have a cover with a foam or padding interior. Start with cleaning the removable cover and take it step by step:
- Sprinkling baking soda on the cover can help remove odors according to online sources. Wait 15 minutes.
- Vacuum the cover to remove loose dirt, sand and hair; then take the bed outside.
- Shake vigorously to loosen additional dirt and hair.
- Lint remover is next. Roll all over the cat bed (and yourself as well while you work).
- Throw the cover in the dryer on low for 10 minutes to continue to remove the dirt, grime and hair.
- Pre-cleaning is a must. Spot-clean any urine stains or dark areas from use or from your cat’s paws. Be sure to use a cleaner that is intended for this purpose. Follow instructions on the product label.
- Run the washing machine for two full wash cycles. Wash the cat bed cover on its own with hot water for a full cycle using an unscented and dye-free detergent like all® free clear and fabric softener if desired.
- Odors. Add a cup of vinegar to the washer whenever you clean the cat bed cover to help remove extra odors
- Put in the dryer and/or hang up in the sun.