Evergreens to spruce up any outdoor space
Concrete, tiled, or decked outdoor living spaces can look a little drab in the winter. But don’t drop your leaves over it just yet! There are plenty of easy-care evergreens to spruce up your terrace or balcony with from the first frost to the next heatwave. Evergreens are hardy plants that stay green year-round, making them ideal for adding character to your balcony or terrace. They shine when most plants have faded and serve as a beautiful backdrop for spring and summer flowers.
If you’d like more tips for making use of your balcony or terrace year-round, discover them here.
How to choose evergreens for an outdoor living space
Before you choose an evergreen, think about the size of your balcony or terrace and how much light it gets. Some conifers, for example, are purchased small but grow enormous! Likewise, some evergreens are sun-loving, while others prefer the shade.
Once that’s figured out, you can use our guide below to help decide which evergreens will best spruce up your outdoor space.
Although there are hundreds of types of evergreens, we’ve put our favorites for homes into four categories. Phew, that simplifies things!
Make sure to keep children and pets away from these types of evergreens as it could be harmful to their health if accidentally ingested.
- Hedera helix (common ivy) - a quick-growing classic
- Clematis armandii - a delicate flowering climber
- Lonicera japonica (honeysuckle) - a vigorous, winter-climbing beauty
- Euonymus fortunei - quaint bushy plants with variegated foliage
- Dwarf conifers including fir, cedar, cypress, and spruce - timeless classics
- Pieris 'Forest Flame' (lily of the valley) - a colorful broadleaf that prefers lime-free soil.
These would be best away from a seating or dining area as they can attract bees.
- Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) - fragrant and hardy
- Ceanothus x ‘Delight’ - delightful blue flowers in spring
- Iberis sempervirens (candytuft) - low-growing with white flowers in spring/summer
- Skimmia japonica ‘Fragrans’ - fragrant flowers followed by red berries
- Pyracantha ‘Orange Glow’ - white flowers followed by orange berries
- Ilex (holly) - winter classic with festive berries
We hope this list gives you some green inspiration! Remember to ask your local garden center or florist for tips to care for your evergreens. You can find more outdoor living space decor inspiration from Ask Team Clean, here.