The many uses of potato water
Did you know that there are many wonderful uses for potato water? That’s right! When you boil your potatoes for the next meal, you can also use the remaining potato water for so many other wonderful uses! We explain about potato water’s potential.
Potato water is nutritious
Potatoes are packed with numerous minerals and vitamins. So is potato water. By adding it to any dish, you are giving your meal an extra dose of nutrients like vitamins B and C, potassium and fibre, and phytonutrients like carotenoids and flavonoids which are beneficial to your health and well-being. Overall, potatoes are known to boost brain function, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation and aid digestion. Here are some potato water uses in cooking, baking, and preparing meals without gluten or dairy.
- Use it as a base for gravy (you won’t need to add as many thickeners!)
- Save the water and use it in making mashed potatoes. It will lessen the amount of cream needed to make them lighter.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper to it and drink it as an almost 0 calorie food.
- Add potato water to bread mixes to add texture and a bit of extra flavour.
- Pour over dehydrated vegetables to hydrate them.
- Another potato water use is to pour it over dry dog food. They will LOVE it!
Potato water is good for indoor plants and gardens
Nourishment for your indoor plants and garden. After you boil the potatoes, remove the water, and allow to cool down. At room temperature, you can add it to your watering can and water your precious plants both indoors and outdoors. Here are a few tips!
- Your garden and indoor plants do not like salt. Do not add salt to the water you are using to boil potatoes if you plan to use on plants.
- Both salt and boiling water are great weed killers. When you cook potatoes in salted water, use the drained water right away on undesirable weeds in your garden paths. This type of weed killer works best with broad leaf weeds. Reminder: be sure to keep this water away from your healthy plants!
Tips on how to store potato water
If you want to save your potato water waste for a long time, freeze it. For short-term storage, pour the potato water into a glass jar and place it in the fridge. It can last for up to a week.
Share it with Family & Friends!