Learning how to fold a fitted sheet correctly can seem daunting at first, especially if you weren’t taught how to do it as a child. Should you fold the sheet down the middle fresh out of the washer or iron it first? Because of the elastic edges, folding fitted sheets is a little trickier, but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy as 1-2-3. We’ll show you all you need to know and provide some top tips so you can impress your guests and loved ones.
Before you start folding your fitted sheets right away, it’s a good idea to iron them. There are plenty of good reasons to do so.
- When you’re washing bed linen at 60°C, some of the germs can survive. Ironing will kill the remaining bacteria. This is great for people with allergies against dust mites or bacteria.
- Ironing will also help make your fabric feel a little softer against the skin.
- Take your sheets from the dryer.
- Fold it lengthwise and allow the corners to align.
- Begin by ironing the corners of the sheet and then move down the centre.
Now that you’ve prepared your fitted sheet, it’s time to get folding. All you’ll need is the sheet and a flat surface. You could fold them directly on the mattress, the floor, or a kitchen countertop. Just make sure that any surface you choose is clean.
- Start from the inside out. Grab hold of two of the elasticated corners of the sheet on the longer side.
- Fold your arms together and fold one corner over another.
- Smooth over the edges to straighten them a little more.
- Grab the other corner and fold it over. It’s best to start folding vertically along the sheet.
- Now, fold away the excess fabric. This should create a rectangle.
- Then lay the sheet flat on a surface and fold it into thirds.
- When you’re done, fold it once more into quarters.
For a wrinkle-free bed sheet, follows these tips and tricks:
- Lay out the sheet on a flat surface with the elastic facing upward.
- Grab the bottom two corners and fold them from the inside out.
- Then tuck them into the top corners.
- Fold the sheet in half and smooth it down.
- Place it on the table with the elastic facing upward and fold it inward from the corners.
- This should create a single long folded piece of fabric.
- Now, all you need to do is fold the right side to the inside and then follow it with the left end.
Want to breathe new life and colour to your bed linen? Why not try dyeing them the latest shade of red or blue? Visit Dylon.co.uk to learn more.
For more useful tips and tricks around the home we have other useful articles such as how to use different types of washing powder, how to dry clothes, and how to decipher washing symbols.
As a member of Ask Team Clean, you get access to exclusive offers and the best cleaning tips.