How to make DIY Christmas decorations
Festive music is playing on the radio, the feast for the big day has been prepared and all the presents have been bought - no wonder you're already in the Christmas spirit! Only your home is still lagging behind a little. We’ll show you how to make Christmas decorations at home without much effort and with a lot of fun!
Make your own Christmas decoration craft
Don’t worry if creativity was never your greatest strength, because with these DIY Christmas decoration ideas, even the biggest crafting grinch can conjure up creations that will make others envious of their festive home! Curiosity aroused? Then let's get started on your very own DIY Christmas decorations.
Making Christmas decorations: The choice is yours
Sometimes It's hard to get started, the question is what should you make? That’s always the first hurdle! The following questions can help you decide:
- What do you want to decorate? Or to put it another way: Which rooms do you want to bring a bit of festive cheer to?
- How much time do you have? Do you want to make quick work of your DIY Christmas decoration ideas?
- Do you plan to do it on your own or will (small) children be involved? For example, the materials you need for Christmas decoration crafting with children are quite different from those you would need for a "crafting for one" session.
- What else do you need to consider: Does anyone have allergies or a four-legged friend running around the house?
Once you have the answers to these questions, you'll be spoilt for choice. But with our selection, you're sure to find the right DIY Christmas decoration for you:
- Who isn’t a fan of a snow globe?! The best thing about it? It’s quite simple to make.
- Is crafting with children on the agenda? Because we don't want to deprive our little ones of the ultimate Christmas feeling when crafting, you could make paper stars together- they are ideal to hang on the Christmas tree together.
- If you have four-legged friends living in your household, it's best not to have a fir tree. You can easily make a Christmas tree yourself as a DIY Christmas decoration. You can create wonderful Christmas trees from wood, cork, and fairy lights. Another advantage of making your own tree is that you can reuse these creations next year! If you do have a real Christmas tree this year, don’t forget to water it to keep it looking fresher for longer.
With all the fairy lights, Christmas might not be one of the most eco-friendly holidays. But with a little upcycling, you can do something good for the environment. There are lots of things you can reuse and upcycle when making Christmas decorations. You can turn bottles, toilet paper rolls, bottle caps, buttons, or newspaper into bright and wintry DIY Christmas decorations. Whether you want to make snowmen out of bottle caps or angels out of toilet paper rolls, there are no limits to your creativity! You can even recycle paper and create paper snowflakes with them.
In a hurry? No excuses!
"I'm afraid I don't have time for that." or "It takes me too long." - These excuses no longer apply. Even if you're in a hurry, you shouldn't miss out on Christmas decoration crafts. In no time at all, you can make your own decorations and give your home a wintry Christmas charm:
- No time to drive to the hardware store or garden store? Simply place fairy lights on a base of fake snow in a vase and you've got a Christmas bundle of lights.
- Want some table decorations? Cut out great Christmas motifs such as snowmen, stars, or snowflakes from paper and stick them onto drinking glasses. You can then use them to decorate the dining table for the festive meal.
- Glasses can also be used to make beautiful winter lanterns. You can stick gold or silver foil on them or spray them with paint. Glitter and shiny stars add a festive flourish to the lanterns.
- Spice up your windows? Cut stars of different sizes from coloured card or paper. Stick them to the window with sticky tape and you're guaranteed a white Christmas.
No matter what you craft, with our tips on making Christmas decorations, you can be sure your home will be a Christmas winter wonderland. Get creative now and make your own DIY Christmas decorations! For more fun DIY ideas check out our articles on how to DIY Mother’s Day gifts, shoe storage ideas or get some home office ideas.